All owners of Mobile Eastern Shore homes recognize that keeping cool in hot summer months means paying higher utility bills. However, in the face of the ever-rising cost of living, family budgets strained by the spike in utility use, and the awareness of the need for environmental efficiency, the following money and energy saving tips can certainly help you manage both your comfort level and your finances this summer.
- Keep it off as long as possible.
- Turn the thermostat up before leaving for work or for a vacation. You can save 1-3% per degree above 72.
- Invest in an inexpensive programmable thermostat that will begin cooling your Mobile Eastern Shore home before you arrive home after an absence.
- Use lights only when necessary in order to keep room temperatures cooler. Remember that LED lights use less energy and don’t produce heat.
- Close blinds, shades, and curtains on the sunny side of your house.
- Replace AC filters regularly. Saves another 1-2%.
- Cool hot foods before putting them into the refrigerator.
- Be aware that a full refrigerator keeps it cooler. Reasons? The solid food retains the cold, and the tightly-packed items keep the cold air from rushing out an open door.
- Refrain from opening the door too often.
- Store wet foods in tightly-sealed containers to lessen the strain on the condenser.
- Clean the condenser coils and check to ensure that the magnetic rubber seals around the door are tight.
- Save water and energy by doing only a full load.
- Select a shorter cycle.
- Let dishes air-dry.
- Turn your water heater down to 120 degrees.
- When taking a shower to cool off, using cool rather than hot water will save energy and reduce the effect of humidity.
- Wash clothes in cooler water and rinse in cold.
- Whenever possible, use an outdoor grill, a crockpot, or a microwave rather than the oven in your Mobile Eastern Shore home.
- When baking, avoid opening the oven door, an act which lets out 20% of the heat.
- Use ceiling fans to circulate air and decrease the use of air-conditioning.
- Use the exhaust fan in the kitchen of your Mobile Eastern Shore home to remove hot air when you’re cooking.
The Judy Niemeyer Team knows that selling or buying a Mobile Eastern Shore home is a major event in your life. It represents one of the largest single investments you may make in your lifetime. It is, therefore, our Goal to make this experience a seamless one. Whether buying Mobile Eastern Shore real estate or marketing Mobile Eastern Shore homes for sale, we will provide unparalleled professional, quality service and the most productive approach to achieving your goals.
You can contact Judy by email or by calling 251-990-0569.