The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) estimates that over one million senior citizens are treated in emergency rooms for home-related injuries each year. CPSC believes that many of these accidents result from often-overlooked hazards which are easy to detect and correct. Use this checklist to spot possible safety problems which may be present in your Mobile Eastern Shore home and use it periodically to re-check your residence. This checklist is organized by areas in the home and will be presented in an easy-to-follow series of articles.
1. Apply textured strips/appliqués to the bottom of tubs and showers to prevent slipping.
2. Use only non-skid mats in the bathroom area
3. Securely attach grab bars to help you get in and out of the shower/tub and to prevent falls. Check existing bars for strength and stability.
4. Lower the water setting on your hot water heater to no more than 120 degrees to avoid scalding. Always check water temperature before entering a bath or shower.
5. Install a night light or replace the existing light switch near the door with a “glow switch” that can be seen in the dark.
6. Unplug all small appliances such as hairdryers, shavers, curling irons, etc., when not in use.
7. Keep small appliances away from water at all times.
8. Make sure that all medications are clearly and correctly labeled. Throw away those that are out of date. Store medicines beyond the reach of children.
1. Arrange furniture so that light switches and lamps are close to beds.
2. Remove sources of heat from areas around bedding.
3. Don’t smoke in bed!
4. Use electric blankets only in accordance with instructions. Don’t put anything on top of an electric blanket when it is in use! Check the setting of the blanket before falling asleep.
5. Never go to sleep with a heating pad that is turned on.
6. Make sure there is a telephone within easy reach of your bed.
7. Clear the passageway from the bedroom to the bathroom.
8.. Keep a flashlight next to your bed.
Safety Checklist For Your Mobile Eastern Shore Home – Part I
The Judy Niemeyer Team knows that selling or buying a Mobile Eastern Shore home is a major event in your life. It represents one of the largest single investments you may make in your lifetime. It is, therefore, our Goal to make this experience a seamless one. Whether buying Mobile Eastern Shore real estate or marketing Mobile Eastern Shore homes for sale, we will provide unparalleled professional, quality service and the most productive approach to achieving your goals.
You can contact Judy by email or by calling 251-990-0569.